Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day: Climate Change

Today I am writing in tandem with thousands of bloggers around the world taking part in blogactionday, an annual event powered by Change.org. Despite the fact that I don't agree with everything they do, I can support their idea of unifying folks to speak about the great issues of our day. And besides, I like this years topic: Climate Change.

I like it because I of three strongly held beliefs on the subject:

1.) Gravity and causes: Yes we're seeing Climate Change around the world, however, I do not believe it to be a grave threat to the existence of our planet or its inhabitants. The scant historical comparison data we have shows that the earth has had seasons like this before. Which would suggest that it's unlikely that today's issues are caused by my two cars.

2.) God: The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it - Psalm 24:1. He built the place and will care for it until its usefulness is through. It's egotistical of us - of me - to think that I can change that.

However:

3.) Christ Followers: If we believe what Psalm 24 says, why aren't we the environmental leaders? Why aren't we proactively leading the movement to properly and care-FULLY steward His world?

Why aren't I?

No comments: