Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Broken

I am broken.

I hope.

I hope I have finally come to the end of my rope. My hope. My way. My thinking. My strength. My trying.

I hope I have ‘cause it’s not working. The “I’ll figure it out, I’ll get better, I can stop if I have to, I can’t live without this, I don’t need any help, I’m okay this way, I’m generally good, maybe tomorrow” life isn’t working.

Thank God.

Thank God I’ve seen there’s more. And thank God I’ve realized I can’t get there on my own. I can’t figure it out, get better, stop, live without, be okay, good or last another day on my own.

I need three things in order of importance:

3 - I need the reality of what God sees in me and in the world. I need His perspective.
2 – I need people around me who see both of those too and point them out to me all the time.

I have both of those, but neither of them works without this:

1 – Scriptural humility.

I need a self-image consistent with the truth that I am a redeemed, mercy and grace empowered man in relationship with my Father in Heaven. Without that His perspective is nothing more than knowledge and the encouragement of friends is nothing more than empty words.

I don’t need knowledge and words, not by themselves. I need a faith-filled heart for them to root in. A heart that is first broken.

Thank God

No comments: